Quelle horreur! The holidays are drawing to a close. Tomorrow we undertake a long drive back to Small City and return to work on Monday. A veritable ton of work awaits. Sigh.
Because, you know, everyone cares what I do on my holidays, I present to you the highlights in bullet point format.
- I ate so much chocolate this year that by rights I should be in a sugar coma.
- I cooked. We made cannelloni stuffed with arborio rice, leeks, and mushrooms. Yes. Truly, we did. It was incredible. Then I made arancini with the leftover rice. They were delicious.
- I baked a cake. It was a Lamington Cake. Now, if you aren’t Australian you probably aren’t familiar with lamingtons, which are basically sponge cake cut into squares, rolled in chocolate and covered in coconut. They are ubiquitous in our fair land, but I have never made them. Someone in the office has been eating them so I thought I would give it a try. Being as I am much too lazy/have no patience/it’s the freaking holidays and I can’t be bothered to roll squares of sponge in anything, I opted for this cake version. It is awfully good.
- We carried out a blitz on the garden. Soil has been tilled. Root crops are planted. Sprouts are sprouting. Trees are fruiting.
- We walked on the beach and in the water up to our knees. It was lovely and warm.
- In between we spent one whole day doing nothing but reading and napping. Bliss.
- We had sex. That is to say, we successfully negotiated the fertile window once more, and I am now 5dpo.
- I had a killer sinusitis headache for two days. Awesome.
- I caught up on your blogs. I finished that book I had been reading for weeks.
- This morning we received the news that SIL is pregnant with her fifth child. Cue hormonal-cycle-support-induced teary moment or ten. Fortunately I have the best husband in the world to make me feel better. I will probably have more to say about this later.
Overall, a thoroughly good time was had by all.